Monday, March 20, 2006

Finishing time goals

Dream it. Do it.
It seems greedy to want a fast finishing time, when you are attempting your first Ironman distance race. Especially greedy when you have never attempted anything longer than Olympic distance event. But I still want to have a good race and maximize my performance. Originally I wanted to do a 12 hour race, after that became "do-able" mentally I started wondering how close I could get to a Kona qualifying time. I spent time looking at last year's results and came up with 10:15 as a likely qualifying time. I resurrected my goal, modifying it to 11:15. I figured within an hour of qualifying would be a great accomplishment. But as this race is likely the only IM in my future, in the next three years, I wonder if I should shoot higher.
The risks are obvious, go to hard in swim, then suffer early on the bike. Burn up the bike course and crack on the run. These are huge risks to even finishing. Now it makes me wish I had already finished an IM, so I could play fast and loose with pacing and risk cracking on the run.
Right now, I think I can do 1:15 swim, 5:45 bike, and 4:00 run with transitions. That is 11 hours. Don't get me wrong I would be happy finishing. But my greedy nature to get the BEST race possible, makes me wonder if I could take 10 minutes off swim, 20 minutes off the bike, and 15 minutes off the run. That is 45 minutes off and would yield a 10:15.
I guess I will have to leave those dreams for the course and the day to work out.

But I want it. Nice Dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home